Hi Andy,
   For me at least, all it took was installing the Anaconda distribution of
python.  This includes all the tools you need (pyqt for example) so that
there's no need to get into Homebrew.
A command in a Terminal window, in the directory where you want your .leo
file to live, something like

python /Users/gte/Leo-5.3-final/launchLeo.py ogmap.leo &

should get you going.  [Oh dear!  Here I'm accidentally confessing how lax
I am in updating to the latest and greatest version.]  Good luck:  it's
definitely worth the investment of effort!

geoff