One thing I never understood about the Leo GUI :

Why is the tab bar with the open files right below the title bar, but above
the menu bar and the tool bar?

Imagine a car where the accelerator and the brake were switched.

In almost every other application (I know of) the order is:

title bar
menu bar
tool bar
breadcrumbs (if used)
tab bar (if used)

An application that exemplifies this order very well is PyCharm.
Like Leo it has  an outline structure and several resizeable panes, each
with multiple tabs for open files and functions.

This order implies a natural hierarchy and reflects some of the paramount
principles of GUI design:
- Don't surprise the user.
- Utilize prior knowledge.

If someone is interested, there is more on this topic in 'GUI Bloopers 2.0:
Common User Interface Design Don'ts and Dos' (just google for 'GUI
bloopers).