On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 22:05:28 -0700 (PDT)
rengel <reinhard.engel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing I never understood about the Leo GUI :
>
> Why is the tab bar with the open files right below the title bar, but
> above the menu bar and the tool bar?
>
> Imagine a car where the accelerator and the brake were switched.
>
> In almost every other application (I know of) the order is:
>
> title bar
> menu bar
> tool bar
> breadcrumbs (if used)
> tab bar (if used)

Firefox / Chrome / and I think at least one of the MS browsers have tabs
on top. Admittedly they don't really have menu bars, but they have
similarly critical elements under the tabs.  In both cases (Leo and
browsers) the tabs represent a complete change of context, so I don't
really see the tab positioning as surprising.  In Leo, perhaps more
than other apps., changing tabs can change the menus and tools
available.  In that sense they're the highest level of containment, so
that combined with the web browser example makes me thing this isn't
really confusing users.

Gimp the image editor is a good example of where a lower tab bar makes
sense, because all it does is change the image being edited, not the
tools / menus available.

Cheers -Terry