This post describes a new (for me) way to study complex code!

*The old way*

I created an organizer node whose children are the clones of nodes that I
want to study.

This study pattern works well for programs that I mostly understand. But
this pattern doesn't work so well for more mysterious code, like Rope's
code.

*The new way*

As before, I start with an organizer node representing the study topic.

But now, the organizer node's children are *other* organizer nodes, one for
each cloned node. This small change is a revolution! These *inner organizer
nodes* are the perfect places to describe each clone:

- Their headlines summarize what the clone does. The headline of an inner
organizer need not match its child's headline.
- Their bodies can contain complex notes.

*Summary*

*Two *levels of organization provide the space needed to summarize complex
data.

Edward

P.S. Ironically, outliners such as org-mode might lead people more
naturally to this pattern. Heh. In such environments, *everything* is an
organizer node ;-) Instead of clones, org-mode users would use links. But
having clones right at hand is far superior.

EKR