Ken Moffat wrote:
I'm writing this from a current LFS-svn system.  Most things are
looking good, but vim is starting to drive me to distacrion - when I
edit a file, it drops me to where I last was if I recently edited
that file.

In two cases, this is really annoying:

1. editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I first noticed that a few days ago on a system from 5th February.

2. editing (new) commit messages in git (the cursor is presented in
the commented fields, instead of at the top).

Not sure when _that_ started to happen, but it is now happening
consistently in my local commits.

AFAICS, I can absent myself for a few days, trying to fix this.  But
asking here seems quicker :)

I think it is going to the last match in a search. Try adding 'set noincsearch' to vimrc.

We changed the default /etc/vimrc to automatically use $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim. You can remove that if you want.

  -- Bruce