On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 05:16:54PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> > I'm writing this from a current LFS-svn system.  Most things are
> > looking good, but vim is starting to drive me to distacrion - when I
> > edit a file, it drops me to where I last was if I recently edited
> > that file.
> >
> > In two cases, this is really annoying:
> >
> > 1. editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> >
> > I first noticed that a few days ago on a system from 5th February.
> >
> > 2. editing (new) commit messages in git (the cursor is presented in
> > the commented fields, instead of at the top).
> >
> > Not sure when _that_ started to happen, but it is now happening
> > consistently in my local commits.
> >
> > AFAICS, I can absent myself for a few days, trying to fix this.  But
> > asking here seems quicker :)
>
> I think it is going to the last match in a search.  Try adding 'set
> noincsearch' to vimrc.

Yes, that seems to fix it.

> We changed the default /etc/vimrc to automatically use
> $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim.   You can remove that if you want.
>
>   -- Bruce

Glkad I asked, reading the explanation (Do incremental searching
when it's possible to timeout.) I would never have associated
that with this behaviour.

Thanks.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.