I think I may have found the error of my ways

I am building for i686

When reviewing my build process logs I found this under Chapter 6.16
GCC-4.5.2...

When doing the compile test ie echo main(){} > dummy.c...etc.

 From the book:

Next, verify that the new linker is being used with the correct search
paths:
grep 'SEARCH.*/usr/lib' dummy.log |sed 's|; |\n|g'
  If everything is working correctly, there should be no errors, and the
output of the last command (allowing for platform-specific target
triplets) will be:
SEARCH_DIR("/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib")
SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");

Here is what I have:

SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");
SEARCH_DIR("/lib")

What would cause the SEARCH_DIR to be wrong?

As far as I can tell the readjust of the tools chain occurred without error.

The ouput in my compile of GCC is the same as from the adjust tool chain
step... Is that correct?

If not could please point me (if you can) to the most likely setp I have
errored on if possible.