On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 07:46:54PM -0400, scrat wrote:

> I think I may have found the error of my ways

 I'm sorry, I disagree.

> I am building for i686
>
> When reviewing my build process logs I found this under Chapter 6.16
> GCC-4.5.2...
>
> When doing the compile test ie echo main(){} > dummy.c...etc.
>
>  From the book:
>
> Next, verify that the new linker is being used with the correct search
> paths:
> grep 'SEARCH.*/usr/lib' dummy.log |sed 's|; |\n|g'
>   If everything is working correctly, there should be no errors, and the
> output of the last command (allowing for platform-specific target
> triplets) will be:
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");
>
> Here is what I have:
>
> SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");
> SEARCH_DIR("/lib")

 So, on the face of it, libraries in /usr/local/lib will not be
found.  But, your problem is a failure to boot - the kernel does not
link to libraries.

 The messages you saw on the screen when trying to boot are only
really helpful if you can boot a working kernel on the same machine,
AND if it runs slowly enough for you to be able to read what
happens.  Unfortunately, modern desktop machines are probably too
quick for that.  The messages don't usually make it into the logs,
so we can't look at logs and hazard a guess at what should come next.

 Somebody implied a video problem - that sounds plausible.

 You were also advised to avoid modules - in fact, for some things
such as network adaptors (wired ethernet) modules are usually no
problem. The big issues are booting without an initrd (most distros
use intirds, LFS doesn't), and supporting your hardware - as well as
the obvious "build in ext4 or whatever you use" and "enable the
correct [ SATA ] drivers(s) for your chipset(s)" I suppose we should
add "if in doubt, keep the video simple".

 kms is a wonderful thing when it works, but a bit of a beast to set
up in some situations, and occasionally liable to break across
kernel upgrades on some hardware (particularly, intel).  So, if you
are using it, I suggest that you build an alternative kernel without
it, and use that to help identify where your problem lies.  Equally,
even just using a framebuffer might cause problems (on my new
server, I had to fiddle with grub.conf to get a non-blank screen,
and I eventually switched to, I think, vesdafb from radeonfb - on
earlier kernels with my previosu hardware, the framebuffer had worked
fine without specifying anything odd to grub).

 I think you said that you had used this config already on your host
system ?  If so, is the host using an initrd [ if it is, the config
is probably not adequate for LFS ], and did you use the same version
of the kernel ?  Occasionally, things break in newer kernels [ hmm -
if you are already running a *newer* kernel on the host, use the
same version in the new system, don't go back to an older kernel
just because it is in the book ].

ĸen