On 09/25/2011 08:51 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 07:46:54PM -0400, scrat wrote:
>> I think I may have found the error of my ways
>   I'm sorry, I disagree.

OK I've been completely wrong before ;)

>> I am building for i686
>>
>> When reviewing my build process logs I found this under Chapter 6.16
>> GCC-4.5.2...
>>
>> When doing the compile test ie echo main(){}>  dummy.c...etc.
>>
>>   From the book:
>>
>> Next, verify that the new linker is being used with the correct search
>> paths:
>> grep 'SEARCH.*/usr/lib' dummy.log |sed 's|; |\n|g'
>>    If everything is working correctly, there should be no errors, and the
>> output of the last command (allowing for platform-specific target
>> triplets) will be:
>> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
>> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib")
>> SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
>> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");
>>
>> Here is what I have:
>>
>> SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
>> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");
>> SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
>   So, on the face of it, libraries in /usr/local/lib will not be
> found.  But, your problem is a failure to boot - the kernel does not
> link to libraries.
>
>   The messages you saw on the screen when trying to boot are only
> really helpful if you can boot a working kernel on the same machine,
> AND if it runs slowly enough for you to be able to read what
> happens.  Unfortunately, modern desktop machines are probably too
> quick for that.  The messages don't usually make it into the logs,
> so we can't look at logs and hazard a guess at what should come next.

This is a five year old lapdog machine so it is not to beastky fast ;)

>   Somebody implied a video problem - that sounds plausible.

No I don't get a blank/black screen I just get a hard crash, the screen
never clears or blanks

>   You were also advised to avoid modules - in fact, for some things
> such as network adaptors (wired ethernet) modules are usually no
> problem. The big issues are booting without an initrd (most distros
> use intirds, LFS doesn't), and supporting your hardware - as well as
> the obvious "build in ext4 or whatever you use" and "enable the
> correct [ SATA ] drivers(s) for your chipset(s)" I suppose we should
> add "if in doubt, keep the video simple".

I did use a kernel without modules. I recompiled the kernel without
modules as suggested.

>   kms is a wonderful thing when it works, but a bit of a beast to set
> up in some situations, and occasionally liable to break across
> kernel upgrades on some hardware (particularly, intel).  So, if you
> are using it, I suggest that you build an alternative kernel without
> it, and use that to help identify where your problem lies.  Equally,
> even just using a framebuffer might cause problems (on my new
> server, I had to fiddle with grub.conf to get a non-blank screen,
> and I eventually switched to, I think, vesdafb from radeonfb - on
> earlier kernels with my previosu hardware, the framebuffer had worked
> fine without specifying anything odd to grub).

I am not doing anything to advanced as of now. I just want to see the
machine boot.
I'll mess up the kernel by adding sound kms etc later....
First get it to boot then on to blfs and add/chqange the kernel params
as needed to get things functional is/was my plan.

>   I think you said that you had used this config already on your host
> system ?  If so, is the host using an initrd [ if it is, the config
> is probably not adequate for LFS ], and did you use the same version
> of the kernel ?  Occasionally, things break in newer kernels [ hmm -
> if you are already running a *newer* kernel on the host, use the
> same version in the new system, don't go back to an older kernel
> just because it is in the book ].

No, I did not use a config from a distro, I made the config file from
my own doing.....(That's why it didn't work I suppose?)

I did a mrproper
Then make deflaultconfig or something like that
Then make menuconfig and looked over the config and eliminated a bunch
of stuff and added the proper sata drivers etc.
I have no framebuffer or kms configured in the kernel.
I then compiled a kernel that booted.

After which I changed the hard drive in the laptop ( the machine I built
the system on ) and then re-done the LFS as a new build.
When I got the the reboot stage it hung.

I used the same host system and the same partition system on both hard
drives.
I also scripted the first system and copied it to a usb thumb drive to
use again.
After setting up the new drive I used the scripts following the build
sequence to install on the newer/larger drive.
I have to manually do each step following the book.  I built the scripts
by cutting and pasting each chapter into a script and adding a section
to untarball the source package and cd to the now source directory
Each script resides into a subdirectory.

  The script when run unpacks the tarball cd to the unpacked directoty
and runs the pasted commands.

What I don't know is when does the kernel hand over booting to inittab etc.

My theory if not flawed is that some/all binaries are linked to the
/tools directory, and since /tools has beened removed it hangs.
Although I could be completely wrong about this.