On 09/25/2011 10:44 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:

[putolin]

>   I'm lost here (probably because it is late) - you've used the same
> host to build LFS twice, first on the old disk, and then on the new
> disk ?

Yes that is correct. The scripts produced a LFS system that booted and
worked on the old hard drive so I thought is was good.

The only difference is an increase in size of the hard drive 120GB to a
500GB.

>> I used the same host system and the same partition system on both hard
>> drives.
>> I also scripted the first system and copied it to a usb thumb drive to
>> use again.
>> After setting up the new drive I used the scripts following the build
>> sequence to install on the newer/larger drive.
>> I have to manually do each step following the book.  I built the scripts
>> by cutting and pasting each chapter into a script and adding a section
>> to untarball the source package and cd to the now source directory
>> Each script resides into a subdirectory.
>>
>>    The script when run unpacks the tarball cd to the unpacked directoty
>> and runs the pasted commands.
>   The above sounds sensible, but the reality is that scripting makes
> it very easy to miss errors.  OTOH, if you are manually running each
> step, any errors ought to be apparent to you.

Well that is why I scripted it.  This old fart has a problem reading off
the nook which has the LFS-6.8 pdf and typing the correct thing into the
system under build.  I use this at the top of the script

#!/bin/bash -e
set +h
shopt -s -o pipefail

pkgname=automake
pkgver=1.11.1
startdir=$(pwd)

then do the cut and paste line with   |& tee "$startdir/build.log" at
the end so I have a log of what happened so I can then lokk the result
over and correct the "hey look dummy errors".

>> What I don't know is when does the kernel hand over booting to inittab etc.
>>
>> My theory if not flawed is that some/all binaries are linked to the
>> /tools directory, and since /tools has beened removed it hangs.
>> Although I could be completely wrong about this.
>>

>   It should be simple for you to test this theory - take a program
> from each package (starting with /sbin/init) and use ldd to see what
> it links to.  If the program you picked turns out to be a shell
> script, try a different program from the same package (see chapter
> 6, I think, for what gets installed in each package ? - I don't have
> a graphical browser on my current desktop).

OK I'll do that after I get home from work today