Toby Thain <t...@telegraphics.com.au> was heard to say:

> This is probably driver dependent. IMHO the first check would be to
> see if the unexpected reversion to binary type is occurring within
> libdbi or in libmysqlclient (or mysqld).

I bet it is. The mysql driver uses some weird check (in
_translate_mysql_type) to find out whether or not a field is binary.
Unless I'm dense the code in question may actually cause other
problems as well, so I'd like to ask everyone with some MySQL
knowledge to have a look at it. Also, the existing check may be
version dependent. Vikram, which MySQL version are you running?

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka