Toby Thain <t...@telegraphics.com.au> was heard to say:

> I have discussed this issue with Vikram on #mysql and IMHO it is
> wrong in concept for a collation change to affect column type: As it
> is not concerning the contents of the field but merely
> interpretation. Naturally he didn't expect to have to change his code.
>
> But then perhaps the driver writer held a different opinion.

I totally agree here, collation should not affect column type. I still
suspect that MySQL reports the column type correctly, but that the
driver uses incorrect or insufficient means to interpret this
information. This check simply looks spurious to me:

if(field->charsetnr == 63)

This looks more to me like a crutch than like an author having a
different opinion. Toby, isn't there a more foolproof check available
in the MySQL C API?

regards,
Markus

--