> libdbi-drivers uses the mysql_config script shipped with MySQL to
> obtain the list of required libraries to link against, *unless* you
> use the --with-mysql-libdir configure switch.
Yes I was using this configure switch. I copied configure line from
Red Hat SRPM.

> Do you have any numbers? Would be nice to know what speed gain this
> (almost) one-line optimization effected.

I've done a benchmark with rrdtool that uses libdbi.
http://tof.canardpc.com/view/31953cab-4329-45e9-9e30-eed2d9148ee1.jpg
max value on X-Axis is equivalent to ~ 35k rows retrieved from MySQL.

Quite impressive, right ? ;)

Olivier