..on Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:48:01AM -0800, Lee Fisher wrote:
> > If this sort of behaviour from Ubuntu continues, what I would
> suggest is> that simply people start recommending other Linux
> distributions. Personally
> > I'm a big Fedora fan: It has the same level of ease of use and
> features as
> > Ubuntu and also a nice aesthetic and full SELinux security
> features across
> > the board. The community is also dedicated. http://fedoraproject.org/
>
> I agree, about switching to another Linux (or BSD) distro.
>
> But while Fedora (Ubuntu or [Open]SUSE or Mint, etc.) have a lot of
> volunteers, the platform is still controlled by a corporation.
>
> What makes you think that they aren't already doing this, or won't
> soon adopt Canonical's model?
>
> You can't trust any single-vendor-controlled operating system.
> Apple, Microsoft, Canonical, RedHat, Attachmate/Novell, etc.
> Especially closed source ones, but even open source ones, like
> Canonical has demonstrated.
>
> I'd suggest one that is fully-controlled by the community, like
> Debian, or another one of your preference.

Debian is the mother of around 70% of GNU/Linux distributions. I've been using
it as my primary OS (laptop, server, workstation) since 1998. It was a little
rough in the early days but now it's pretty damn dreamy. It even now backports
innovations from its grandchild, Ubuntu.

If you'd like to be a little closer to the bling (assuming you're happy with
Debian testing) I'd look at Linux Mint Debian:

    http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Cheers,

--
Julian Oliver