Thanks for the note Jillian, and I fully admit I have a tendency to be bit
overly optimistic about these things and perhaps have too much faith in the
ability of corporations to ultimately be productive partners. There's an
inherent misalignment of incentives that is problematic outside of the
individuals involved. I think your skepticism is essential and all of our
continued vigilance warranted. That said, I know the rest of the uProxy
team itself is aware and even wary of these issues, so I think you're right
to point out that painting all of Google Ideas with the same brush is
dangerous. I only know a tiny sliver of Google Ideas well, and that's the
uProxy team, but I can certainly attest to the uProxy team's recognition of
the complexity involved from a larger political perspective and even from
the perspective of Google's involvement.

The only ultimate hedges here are structural, of course, and I think it
will help a great deal when the uProxy GitHub repository is opened up to
the public. I want to emphasize again that the University of Washington and
Google Ideas really did the heavy lifting on uProxy, with the BNS not
contributing as much as we'd like primarily because we've had our hands
full with Lantern. That's also not an effort to distance ourselves from it
but rather an effort to give credit where credit is due. Working off an
open source repository, however, uProxy has the advantage of a really
strong team of highly skilled engineers with input from other parts of
Google including engineers with more of a security focus as well as from
the highly skilled team over at UW. I think the open source nature of the
project really tips the scales here and makes Google participation
unquestionably a net positive in that they're able to pour resources into
promising technology that everyone in the community can scrutinize. I think
the non-technical aspects are where things have the potential to derail,
but I'm hopeful we can all help prevent that.

That's the report from my window on the world.

-Adam