Very interesting, Charles. Thanks for sharing.

Below, I have a few related points and questions in no particular order:

   1. There has been a trend for a while to include (more) ethics courses
   in curriculums at business schools. Does anyone know how business schools
   have done so? Are there any learnings from business schools for computer
   science departments, or vice versa?
   2. The policy and legal scholars among us should correct me if I'm
   wrong, but haven't law schools been teaching computing ethics at least
   since the establishment of Harvard Berkman in... 1999? Some of you touched
   upon how computer science departments could learn from law schools in this
   regard. I'd be interested in hearing more.
   3. There are extensive literatures in the study of science, technology,
   and society and the history and sociology of technology that have for a
   long time now been exploring questions of power, politics, and ethics in
   technology development. These literatures have found homes in departments
   of information systems, information science, and even computer science. But
   why don't computer scientists import more of these insights into computer
   science? It seems that just as one learns about the advancements in the
   field one should also learn about the social, political, economic, and
   cultural context in which it's occurring. Decisions to build the Internet's
   architecture in one way created path dependencies that produced a different
   socio-technical system from, say, those of the Soviet Union or France
   (i.e., Minitel). Wikipedia is obviously not the most authoritative source,
   but at least provides a brief overview for those of you who might be
   interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_shaping_of_technology.
   In any case, it's an interesting way for computer scientists to bring
   ethical issues into the classroom while maintaining these issues in their
   broader societal context, likely make it less "boring" and/or "intrusive"
   for students.

--
Yosem E. Companys
*(Pronouns: He/Him/His)*

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 9:10 PM Charles M. Ess <c.m....@media.uio.no> wrote:

> A fascinating - if deeply depressing - thread: many thanks to all.
>
> Let me add:  the relatively sudden interest among Harvard, Stanford et
> al in attempting to introduce some element of ethics into CS (and
> related) instruction is also quite striking to many of us who have been
> doing this for 30 years or longer.  James Moor at Dartmouth, for
> example, was pushing in these directions in the 1980s - and enough
> U.S.-based philosophers and CS (and related) folk were interested to
> begin the Computing and Philosophy (CAP) conferences in the late 1980s,
> based in Carnegie Mellon and whose venues included Stanford.  The topics
> included AI, logic, hypertext/hypermedia - and ethics, both in
> application and teaching.
> Very briefly: those of us who have thus been engaged in these domains
> for quite some time see information and computing ethics (ICE) as
> grounded in Norbert Wiener's _The Human Use of Human Beings_
> (1950/1954): "cybernetics" is from _kybernetes_, the steersman or pilot
> which in Plato stands as the exemplar of _ethical_ judgment and the
> capacity for _ethical_ self-correction.  (Admittedly, there are
> strikingly few people, even in the ICE communities, seem to be aware of
> this.)
> Especially as CAP morphed into the International Association of CAP
> (IACAP) in the early 2000s, all of this blossomed in many and various
> ways - including three additional professional organizations and
> conference series devoted to various dimensions of ethics vis-a-vis
> computational and computer-mediated communication technologies (the
> latter with roots back to the 1980s, if not earlier, as well). Namely,
> the CEPE (computer ethics: professional inquiries) series begun by Simon
> Rogerson in the UK and INSEIT (International Society for Ethics and
> Information Technology), both starting up in the late 1990s.  Likewise,
> the Society for Philosophy of Technology (SPT) started up in 1995,
> beginning with its now flagship journal, _techné_.
>
>  From my perspective, the most remarkable developments have emerged over
> the last four or five years, as our colleagues in CS and related fields,
> including network engineering, for example, have themselves begun to
> argue for and exemplify the importance of ethical reflection in their
> work.  There are some striking examples - at least on this side of the
> pond - and I'd be happy to share references if anyone's interested.
> Most remarkably in these directions: the IEEE project to develop ethical
> standards for the design of Autonomous & Intelligent Systems, now
> concluding its second phase, draws centrally on the virtue ethics
> tradition first staked out by Norbert Wiener as central to their
> frameworks for "ethically-aligned design" (
> https://ethicsinaction.ieee.org/)
> In parallel: the most recent philosophical and policy-related documents
> on ethical frameworks for AI in the EU centrally stress virtue ethics as
> [...]
search engine. Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: