From: kiddleddee 

--- In [email protected], "Bob Giramma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote:
>
> I have told you quite a lot about the cultures in which the 
children in this scenario are raised. They attend school and 
socialize with other children dominated by particular cultural groups.
__________________________________________________________

Now you are adding information to your scenario which was not 
included in your original post.
________________________

BOB:  I don't see what you think I added.  I am mentioning that the children 
socialize with other children in the neighborhood, but that should be obvious.  
Need I mention that the children eat, breath, and sleep, too?

> If you research demographic studies of educational success by race 
and ethnicity, you will see I am merely stating fact. I have three 
children, and I look into such matters when choosing where to live. 
The statistical results aren't even close. A statement of fact 
cannot be racist. If you intend to put that objectionable label on 
me, then at least show statistical evidence I am wrong.
__________________________________________________________

I contend that it is not a statement of fact that any prediction can 
be made that any particular individual child will be more or less 
successful than any other particular individual child based solely on 
the race/ethnicity of his neighbors, which is the only criteria for 
making such a prediction you included in your original post. 

BOB:  It is not about race or ethnicity, but the culture of communities with 
those demographic characteristics.  I could change the cultural scenario 
without changing race by substituting a suburban black African immigrant 
community in place of the black urban Detroit one.  It's not about skin color, 
but about the values followed by a particular cultural group.

And 
considering that the War on Drugs has virtually destroyed the futures 
of more than half of (particularly) urban African-American men, there 
is no meaningful way to make any comparison at all. Statements about 
individuals which are based on racial/ethnic stereotypes - even when 
some statistical "evidence" can be spun to "back up" the stereotype - 
is, in fact, racism. 

BOB:  I agree that the War on Drugs has been very harmful to urban communities 
of not only blacks, but other residents of poor communities.  I am staunchly 
opposed to any and all government regulations on drugs, be they recreational or 
medicinal.
________________________

> It is certainly possible that a particular child raised in a black 
community in urban Detroit will be more successful than a particular 
child raised in a Jewish suburb of Boston. But if you check the 
data, you will see that is a highly anomalous outcome. So you need 
to remove the word "often" from your claim.
__________________________________________________________

If their chosen field is entertainment - including the field of 
entertainment production now that African-Americans have been able to 
break through many of the barriers to entry which kept them out of 
the production offices in the past - "often" is entirely appropriate. 
As has been pointed out, statistically African-Americans are way 
more likely to be successful in the fields of athletics than folks 
who were raised in a Jewish neighborhood. There are also 
numerous "underground", counter-economics fields of activity in which 
African-Americans are probably more likely to be successful than 
folks who had been raised in a Jewish neighborhood.

BOB:  Fine, but I'm looking at overall statistics, not niche areas.  And note 
that my own cultural group, Italian-Americans, is an underachieving group.
. 
 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to