I lived in Turkey for more than a year. I lived in Jordan, and I spend a lot of 
time in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and frequently go to Qatar, Oman, and all 
the others in that region. I've lived in about 10 countries, including the US 
and Canada and visited more than 60.

A lot of it is history. Everyone seems to forget longer term history where 
Judao Christian countries were not that free. Inquisition anyone? just to name 
one.....

But look at modern history of the middle east. The Americans and the Brits 
carved it up after the world wars and installed their own dicatators and called 
some of them democracies. Others they put in kings. Since then they have 
continued to manipulate the governments. The people there in nearly all cases 
resented the governerments and knew they were American/British backed. The 
religious leaders in many cases offerred them "Freedom" only to take charge and 
chagne things - very much like what happend in the Soviet revolution.

In recent history the Middle East really hasn't been allowed to flourish - the 
US especially in the last 20-30 years continually interferes in internal 
affairs of every country in the region, much of it because of oil. The US props 
up the Saudi royal family, and often destablizes governments that are not 
inline with the US. The western world installed the Shah, who opressed the 
people and led to the Ayatollah. Sure most dont like him now, but at the time 
he was saying different things and everyone wanted rid of the Shah. 

Case after case is like this. Jordan and a few others offer a hint of freedom. 
Jordan has a king, and he still involves himself but the legislative bodies do 
most of the daily work and the king usally lets them be, although he does step 
in. But even his line was "installed".

Turkey really is a special case and very difficult for foreigners to understand.

But what is MORE common in all of these countries, much more than the fact that 
they are Muslim is that they are poor and opressed/interfered with. One doesn't 
have to look far to find Christian nations which are in similar positions. You 
only need to look to South America and the Caribbean for many examples.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Bob Giramma 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:58 PM
  Subject: Re: [Libertarian] Stop the War FOR Terror


  My experience with the Middle East is mostly reading and talking to 
neighbors, friends, and colleagues from the area. I do a lot of reading, but it 
doesn't substitute for real experience like yours. I've visited Turkey only. I 
definitely want to hear your views.

  Where in the Middle East did you live, and for how long? If not due to 
culture, then why doesn't liberty work there? What are the misconceptions I am 
likely to have based on reading American, European, and Asian press reports 
about the Middle East? Please provide some information. Thanks.

  From: Peter 
  Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:31 PM
  To: [email protected] 
  Subject: Re: [Libertarian] Stop the War FOR Terror

  Its more likely simply that they are first generation immigrants, while the 
others you "generalize" about are poor and not first, or even second or even 
third generation immigrants in most cases.

  I find you make many generalizations - especially about the middle east. An 
area that I used to live in.

  What is your experience in the middle east?

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Bob Giramma 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 4:14 PM
  Subject: Re: [Libertarian] Stop the War FOR Terror

  Then explain why poor immigrants from India and China, as well as past 
immigrants from poor parts of Europe, have higher levels of achievement. I'm 
not talking about the intellectual class, who come here to attend US colleges. 
I'm talking about the low-skilled class of immigrants.

  My wife and I own two retail businesses in sectors that attract lots of 
Indian immigrant owners. We know many of them closely. They came here poor and 
with low levels of education. They worked hard, pooled their money, networked 
with each other, and now they all drive Lexus or Mercedes vehicles and live in 
big homes. Many of them have children born in those poor villages of India, who 
then moved to the US and attended American public schools. I don't know any who 
didn't go on to college.

  Again, these are people who came here with nothing, lived in poor 
neighborhoods, could not collect welfare state benefits, had low levels of 
education, and have very dark skin. Yet statistically, Indian immigrants are 
the most successful cultural group in the US. Why are they and their children 
so successful? Answer: cultural values.

  From: Peter 
  Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 7:17 AM
  To: [email protected] 
  Subject: Re: [Libertarian] Stop the War FOR Terror

  I think if you looked at your numbers more closely you would see that 
especially in your scenarios race has very little to do with the outcomes, but 
rather economic status of the parents and surrounding neighborhoods.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Bob Giramma 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:35 PM
  Subject: Re: [Libertarian] Stop the War FOR Terror

  I have told you quite a lot about the cultures in which the children in this 
scenario are raised. They attend school and socialize with other children 
dominated by particular cultural groups.

  If you research demographic studies of educational success by race and 
ethnicity, you will see I am merely stating fact. I have three children, and I 
look into such matters when choosing where to live. The statistical results 
aren't even close. A statement of fact cannot be racist. If you intend to put 
that objectionable label on me, then at least show statistical evidence I am 
wrong.

  An individual is a product of nature and nurture. It is not clear to me which 
is the greater contributing factor. To the extent nurture is involved, then a 
child's environment makes a huge difference. Various cultural groups put 
different emphasis on education, work, family, religion, entrepreneurship, etc. 
There are individuals who opt out of the collective value set, but 
statistically what I say is accurate and well established.

  It is certainly possible that a particular child raised in a black community 
in urban Detroit will be more successful than a particular child raised in a 
Jewish suburb of Boston. But if you check the data, you will see that is a 
highly anomalous outcome. So you need to remove the word "often" from your 
claim.

  From: kiddleddee 
  Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 11:13 AM
  To: [email protected] 
  Subject: [Libertarian] Re: Stop the War FOR Terror

  --- In [email protected], "Bob Giramma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
  wrote:

  > Suppose two children are born on the same day. One is raised in an 
  urban black neighborhood in Detroit. The other is raised in a 
  suburban Jewish neighborhood outside Boston. Can you predict which 
  child is likely to be more successful in life?
  > 
  > I bet most people will bet on the second child succeeding, and the 
  statistical record is heavily in their favor. The only difference of 
  which we are aware are the comparative cultural environments in which 
  those children are raised. I've told you nothing else about the 
  children in this scenario.
  __________________________________________________________

  You have also told us nothing about the two cultures the two children 
  are to be raised in. You have only told us the racial/ethnic identity 
  of the neighborhoods. Sounds racist to me.

  In fact, no prediction can be made about the likelihood that a 
  particular individual child will be more or less "successful" than 
  any other child by examining the collectivist circumstances of the 
  neighborhood in which that child is raised - whatever collectivist 
  criteria you want to use. Why is it that many children who are raised 
  in urban black neighborhoods, including some from Detroit, go on to 
  be enormously successful in their chosen fields while many children 
  who are raised in suburban Jewish neighborhoods, including some 
  around Boston, have only mediocre success in those same chosen 
  fields? Why is it that some children who are raised in urban black 
  neighborhoods and some children who are raised in suburban Jewish 
  neighborhoods often enjoy equal or comparable success in their chosen 
  fields?

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your 
business.
  
http://ads.lavabit.com/fc/Ioyw6kdcaPMhdKIUO1Je1C8r3KYx6LMWSLSmTFTk3IoUVltd3FYCH8/
 

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  Save on Cell Phones. Click Now!
  
http://ads.lavabit.com/fc/Ioyw6kdctt992lo1PjTujTdJ0qKC9PKwNhvNM0qA07aeA6Fp6rSemx/
 

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



   Hotel pics, info and virtual tours. Click here to book a hotel online.
  
http://ads.lavabit.com/fc/Ioyw6kdcoITnBZ1uXOypGi4Ex4Jz3POlbkgC3vGzuSOwgt6X6a7awC/
 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to