Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 05:57:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matt Cham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 12 Gig drive: Phantom Hibernation Zone
> You then
> reboot using a unix (linux or BSD work fine) or
> other more advanced
> operating system, and it can tell you exactly what
> part of the
> disk was left for hibernation.
I got lost in this section of the instructions.
Please provide more detail regarding the linux
install, and how it detects the hibernation area.
ie, what version, what program, what commands,
and what results do you expect?
Also, won't the hibernation area also depend
on how much RAM was in use at the moment prior
to hibernation? ie, if I have 32 MB total RAM
and 10 MB was still free prior to hibernation,
wouldn't the hibernation zone only occupy
around 22 MB?
> It is all
> done by having the Libretto bios lie about the real
> drive
> capacity, so if you don't have a libretto install
> disk, any dos
> boot floppy should do.
If I use IBM Disk Manager to detect
the whole 12 Gig instead of the problematic
8 Gig limit, I dont think the Libretto BIOS
will be "lying" about anything at that point.
If anything, the BIOS will not know where
to hibernate if I dont leave it with the
correct location and correct size.
> You should only need to worry about it if you plan
> to do the rest of
> the install external to the libretto. If you do the
> install entirely
> in the libretto, is should all be transparent.
I'm not sure that the process will
be "transparent" if IBM Disk
Manager uses up 100% drive capacity
and you format the whole thing.
Regardless of whether you do an internal
or external (outside the libretto) install
disk setup and program installation.
Again, any meaningful and logical
discussion is welcome and much
appreciated. Thanks.
-Matt
=====
Matt Cham
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online and get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com/
**************************************************************
http://libretto.basiclink.com - Libretto mailing list
http://libretto.basiclink.com/archive - Archives
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/faq.html - FAQ
-------UNSUBSCRIBE-------
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=cmd:unsubscribe
--------UNSUBSCRIBE DIGEST------
Use above but add DIGEST to the subject line...
**************************************************************