Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:09:16 +0200
From: Paul Bristow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Few Wireless Networking Questions
What I have is a couple of Webgear Aviator Cards from Frys. One is in
my lib and the other via the supplied ISA adaptor card in my Linux
Router/Firewall. This gives 2Mbps (1.2 actual sustained data rate) and
works very well, to the extent that my friends all bought some and I
bought more. Pricing is $149 for 2x PCMCIA cards & 2x ISA adaptor cards
from Frys. This is cheaper than using an ethernet cable adaptor, which
are *VERY* expensive.
Ed Padin wrote:
>
> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:13:55 -0400
> From: Ed Padin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: A Few Wireless Networking Questions
>
> Well, I got my home DSL going and now would like to get my libretto going to
> it via wireless. I'd like to web surf from my hammock. :-)
>
> I know that a good bit of discussion has taken place on this list re:
> wireless networking and particular attention has been paid to the IBM cards.
> I took a look at the archives and FAQ to no avail. I couldn't figure out how
> to easily search the archives and the FAQ doesn't mention wireless options.
>
> I wonder if anyone can sum up what seems to be the best solution. I seem to
> recall that Pres Waterman had come up with a nice way of doing this.
>
> Here are my Basic Needs:
>
> I have a DSL hookup that travels at about 600Kbps downstream. I would like
> a solution that will go at least 1Mbps. I would like for it to plug into an
> existing jack on a 10BaseT ethernet hub like this:
>
> Internet___\----DSL-----HUB----wireless card_______\-----wireless
> card---libretto.
>
> Does this sound feasible? What's the best hardware to provide this solution.
> Where can I get the hardware at a cost-effective price(read cheeeep). Ebay?
>
> Thanks.
>
> **************************************************************
> http://libretto.basiclink.com - Libretto mailing list
> http://libretto.basiclink.com/archive - Archives
> http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/faq.html - FAQ
> -------UNSUBSCRIBE-------
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=cmd:unsubscribe
> --------UNSUBSCRIBE DIGEST------
> Use above but add DIGEST to the subject line...
> **************************************************************
--
Paul
Web: http://paulbristow.net
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: #11965223
**************************************************************
http://libretto.basiclink.com - Libretto mailing list
http://libretto.basiclink.com/archive - Archives
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/faq.html - FAQ
-------UNSUBSCRIBE-------
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=cmd:unsubscribe
--------UNSUBSCRIBE DIGEST------
Use above but add DIGEST to the subject line...
**************************************************************