Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:11:02 +0100 (BST)
From: Duncan Barclay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A  Few Wireless Networking Questions


On 28-Apr-00 Michael Van Donselaar wrote:
>>There is even a good article about it in the current Linux Journal. The
>>one gotcha that I have found is that you have to set "translate=0" instead
>>of the default "1" on the linux machine to talk to winders.
> 
> One other small gotcha in my setup: the card will not always join the
> network when  the machine is cold booted with the card inserted.  When
> this happens, the card status is attempting acquisition.
> 
> Doesn't seem to be a problem if I boot w/o the card, and insert after
> initialization. Has anyone else seen this?

I haven't (I run FreeBSD) but can probably guess (I wrote the FreeBSD driver).

The aquisition cycle on the cards is poorly defined. You have to send a command
to the card and wait for a short while. I would guess that the timeout is not
being delivered back to the driver correctly whilst the rest of the machine
is booting up.

If you are a C hacker you can probably add in an extra command to the
control program that "kicks" the driver from userland to fool it into
thinking the timeout has triggered.

Duncan

---
________________________________________________________________________
Duncan Barclay          | God smiles upon the little children,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | the alcoholics, and the permanently stoned.
________________________________________________________________________




**************************************************************
http://libretto.basiclink.com - Libretto mailing list                
http://libretto.basiclink.com/archive - Archives
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/faq.html - FAQ         
                 -------UNSUBSCRIBE-------                            
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=cmd:unsubscribe 
            --------UNSUBSCRIBE DIGEST------
Use above but add DIGEST to the subject line...                           
**************************************************************

Reply via email to