Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 01:34:06 -0500
From: John Musielewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] OS/2 on the 70CT

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 06:50:17 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 21:47:16 +0800
>From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] OS/2 on the 70CT
>
>At 06:05 AM 9/06/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>>Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 08:07:38 -0500
>>From: John Musielewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: OS/2 on the 70CT
>>
>>Hi
>>
>>I used to use OS/2 Warp 4 before I switched to Windows 95/98. I really
>>liked it. Now I understand that through the Odin project OS/2 can run
>>Windows 95 programs. This is good news to me because the reason I
>>switched to Windoze was because of a Winjoke program I have to run for
>>school.
>>card? The mouse? The floppy drive? Will the bios give me any problems?
>>I have know idea about this since I ran it on a pretty standard
>>desktop system not a laptop before and its been years since I set it
>>up but if I remember the system of built-in drivers was very complete
>>and I had no problem setting it up on a desktop. Plus IBM keeps them
>>up. I doubt Toshiba has any drivers for it. Thanks for any help.
>>
>>John
>
>Much as we may dislike what Microsoft does, one does wonder if comments,
>name calling and baseless exaggerations of this nature are really necessary
>in what I thought was a forum dominated by technology and engineering
>professionals ...

You might respect criminals- I don't.

>And no I don't happen to work for Microsoft and, given a choice, would use
>Linux over both OS/2 and Windows as it is actively maintained, has full
>support on the Libretto series of laptops and has no licence issues (not
>that I'm proposing that it is a solution for you).

You can't expect anyone to take freeware seriously. If a person needs
to who would he call if there's a support issue? For example- right
now my newsserver is giving me problems. So I call earthlink to tell
they have a problem. While the support tech is telling me to uninstall
and reinstall Dial up networking (which of course didn't solve the
problem- my computer works perfectly except for a few corrupted files
which I got when I had bad memory) I asked him if they support one of
the most popular operating systems out there- Linux. No he tells me
they don't. So what good does it do to have progressive operating
systems if the very people that work on them only support one or two
which ones are dictated, of course, by Redmond. The average joe will
never be able to use what he chooses because the people that are
supposed to fix them won't. Its as if every auto mechanic gets
together and decides they're going to work on only one make of car.
(For ease of support of course.) That they are only going to ALLOW one
make. They are going to force everybody to drive a Ford. Sorry guys no
more Corvettes. Of course now Earthlink is canned and I'll find a ISP
that is more progressive and supports more than just windows and Macs.

John