Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 23:21:34 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] LiIon AA Batteries?

>From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>LiIon certainly have a very different charging circuit to NiMH. I'm
>referring to the NiMH/NiCAD intelligent chargers (both NiMH and NiCAD have
>charge curves that are similar enough for several companies to make
>charging controller chips that can do either).

Okay, yeah... both my brother's and my charger can be switched to select
charging either NiCAD or NiMH batteries.

>>It has a red light (LED?) that goes out when the batteries are charged,
>>after which the unit seems to shut down to a trickle where no heat can be
>>detected coming from either charger or batteries.
>
>Does the red light go out and the charger flip over to trickle charge when
>the batteries are charged or does it do so after a certain amount of time?
>I've purchased one that did that (I didn't realize it wasn't an intelligent
>charger).

I don't have an instrument to measure this, but it seems like it switches
when the batteries are charged.  I'm assuming this because the light will
stay lit for an hour of more depending on whether I'm charging 2 or 4
batteries, or batteries that are mostly discharged, and then go out.  If I
put in fully charged batteries, or batteries that have only been discharged
slightly, the light will go out after 2 -15 minutes, or whatever length of
time it takes to reach full charge.  So I'd assume that would classify this
as an "intelligent' charger.

>>But I'm not sure if I may have fried it the other night.  I put a set of 4
>>NiMH AAs (ones I got with a charger for my brother), into MY NiMH
>>charger... and in a couple hours I walked over and found the batteries and
>>charger hotter than all *%^$!  I really don't get
>
>Hmm ... weird ... *proper* intelligent chargers use both negative delta
>charge curve detection as well as thermal detection (batteries get quite
>hot when they're about charged). Does the charger still work? Maybe you
>just happened to get it when it was hottest (and in fact its been getting
>that hot whenever it gets near the end of a charge).

Yes... that seems to be the case.  I put my brother's batteries into his
charger and let them charge there.  When they were charged, I put them in my
charger.  It only took a minute of so for the charging light to go out, and
of course they didn't get hot.  Prior to this test, I had tested my charger
again by charging a discharged set of AAs from my MP3 player.  I was
sleeping while they charged, but the charger had no problems.  I'm guessing
those batteries probably got hot.  I've probably forgotten if I ever had
checked to see if batteries get hot in that charger.

Matt