Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:57:15 +0200
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] How to install to Lib 110ct with a bare HD?

Rick Mansfield wrote:

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:41:59 -0400
From: Rick Mansfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I installed a completely fresh copy of Win2k with NTFS pretty easily.
All I did was use a different PC to generate the floppy disks for the
Win2k installer (the utility was in the /bootdisk directory on the
CD). I plugged in the CD drive and the floppy drive simultaneously,
booted from the floppies, and Win2k setup understood the CD drive by
itself. As long as your PCMCIA CD drive's drivers are either built-in
to Win2k (as mine are) or have a Win2k setup driver, it should be
easy.
<snipped>

AFAIK Win2K supports most PCMCIA or Cardbus CD-ROMS more or less natively. An older Argosy CD-ROM player was recognized and installed immediately w/o driver disks etc. I got two Freecom CD-ROM/RW devices here (one PCMCIA, one Cardbus) and the Freecom brand happens to be one of the exceptions. But... the original Lib110 restore stuff I have utilized a floppy with -guess what- a DOS driver for a Freecom CD-player (FCPOINT.SYS) (a so-called point enabler - no card services or whatever needed).

BTW for taming down Win2K a little have a look at www.vorck.com/remove-ie.html
  and
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/disabledllcache.htm
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm (OK, for XP but translation to W2K is easily done) http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/07/running-windows-with-no-services.html (ditto)

One of the Win2Ks on my Lib110 (per Vorck's dec '04 .inf-file set) has a mere 76 MB memory footprint, incl. 15 MB for ZoneAlarm & AVG antivirus. Just after installation it used to be something like 45 MB.... Booting up fully (i.e., HD stops rattling) takes just 1 min 30 sec, shutdown about 15 seconds.

P.