On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 20:46:45 +0200, Ludovic Rousseau said:

>> autotools used to be part of Xcode, but was removed as of 4.3 (March 2012).
>
>You can install the autotools from another Apple package named
>"Command Line Tools".
>See http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/40759/missing-autoconf-
>automake-in-xcode-4-3
>
>Note: It was the first Google result for "automake xcode".

:)  I know how to STFW thanks.  If you read the whole thing you linked to,
you'd see the poster didn't actually uninstall Xcode 4.2 before installing 4.3,
and so had autotools leftover from his previous install.  :)

I assure you that a fresh install of the current Xcode and/or "command line
tools" does _not_ include autotools.  ('make' is still there though.)

>Including a Xcode project may be a solution. I will try to have a look.

I suggested it for completeness, but personally I don't think it's a good idea.

>Note that autotools are requited _only_ for people using the GIT version.
>"Normal" users will use a released tar.bz2 version of libusbx with no
>need for autotools.

What is the difference?  What is included with the "released" version that is
not included with git, and why?

>This is not the same with CMake.

True.

Cheers,