On May 6, 2004, at 2:16 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
I don't understand why there are so many licenses, if the open-source
specification is so rigid.

I don't really understand it either. I mean, I know how we got here step by step, but looking at the situation now it doesn't make much sense.

The list of OSI-approved licenses includes near-duplicates such as the BSD license versus the SleepyCat license or the "University of Illinois/NCSA Open Source License", for one thing. [Or the NetHack license versus the GPLv1...]

Others who have suggested that the list of approved licenses is going to continue to grow are very likely right, but is that a problem?

If so, efforts to create license templates with a range of choices which result in OSI Open Source-compatible terms, such as the Creative Commons licenses, seem to be a good idea. A similar effort could be made to coalesce BSD-like licenses, GPL-derived licenses, and perhaps others (the MPL?).

--
-Chuck