If you're claiming the _only_ purpose of dual-licensing is to support
proprietary business models,

No, not *only*, but it seems the most common.

... then there are any number of
counter-examples.  Offhand, the one that comes to mind is the AIC7xxx
SCSI host adapter block-device driver, which, when last I checked, was
dual-licensed GPL and BSD in order to be used by both Linux and BSD
kernels.

Nice case. Of course this happens only because the GPL is viral.

(Please note that the term "closed source" is unclear and pretty nearly
meaningless.  Therefore, I use "proprietary" to denote software not
available under OSD/DFSG-compliant terms.)

Ok.