Sorry, but a word was missing in my sentence. you should read:
Not because customers WANT closed source, but simply because the same customers also want to make internal development or internal use which does not fit the GPL or other Open Source license.

No difference. I read "they" as "the same costumers" before.

Are you referring to proprietary software X that is forbidden by its one licensing terms to be combined with open source software Y, and therefore you need to 'unopen' Y to proceed? If that's the case, I conceed, but I don't see the point of a license like that of X.