Hi all.

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question.

I own a piece of hardware that has an embedded system that appears to be based
in whole on a variant of linux.

The firmware became corrupted, and so I naively went to the company asking if I
could have a copy of the firmware that shipped with the device. They said only
if I would pay $899 annual support fee. I then asked them for the source code,
to which they responded, it was proprietary and they could not release it
without a maintenance contract. So I was able to break into the firmware and
fix the issue manually, but now I am very concerned that this company is
holding hardware hostage, and doing so with firmware that is open source. By
the way the firmware has linux file structure/linux commands you name it.

Any suggestions-- especially as to what I could say to the company?

Kelly Jones
Columbus County Schools