Quoting Philippe Ombredanne (pombreda...@nexb.com):

> Rick: This is enlightening and well written!

Thank you -- but, really, how could I not help someone working for the
public schools, as Kelly Jones is?  Teachers are among my heroes.

A small correction to my text, supplying words I omitted because I was
rushed:

  A party such as the firmware publisher that fails that obligation
  (as to works under reciprocal licences) is by definition redistributing
  the work without licence.  Therefore, the redistributor is commiting the
  tort (civil wrong) against the copyright holders of that work, e.g., the
                    ^ of copyright violation
  copyright holders of the Linux kernel.  They have legal standing to sue
  for redress of the tort.  You would not, unless you happen to be a
  credited code contributor.

Apologies for my sloppiness, and best wishes to Kelly Jones.

--
Cheers,                 "The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
Rick Moen                                     -- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey