On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Johannes Rudolph <
johannes.rudo...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Just to let you know: This policy (and the form it is stated) seems
> overly strict to me when we are talking about small fixes/typos and
> instantly discourages me from sending in any more of them (i.e.
> perhaps I will do it anyway but with a bad feeling).

Most open source software is polluted with code from who knows where.  This
is problematic from a protection of rights standpoint and from an end user
standpoint.

>From the protection of rights, if there's no single copyright holder where
all contributors have signed a legal agreement assigning their rights to
that copyright holder, there is no single entity that can assert the license
as against an infringer (note that in the case of the Apache license,
there's very few rights that can be asserted because the license grant can
only be revoked if a licensor files a patent infringement case against the
licensee.)  However, it's still important that there be an entity that can
assert the rights in the software.  If there are 50 different authors of the
software, all 50 authors would have to join together (each with separate
lawyers) to assert rights in the software.  That's untenable.

The second reason is for the end users.  You as an end user of Lift know
that the IP is clean (well, at least if you trust that I've been adhering to
the policies that I say I'm following, but for anyone who really cares, I
can produce every single Lift IP assignment and we can trace through every
commit and verify that each commit was made by someone who has assigned
rights to Lift's copyright holder.)  This means that if you deploy a
Lift-based application, you have very little risk of legal action from a
third party asserting copyright violations.

The second point is very important.  I know of at least one GC (head lawyer)
of a company we've all heard of that reviews every single license agreement
of every piece of software used at the company.  For open source, she makes
sure that the open source provider is following good practices because her
company has billions of dollars of sales each year and would be a huge pot
of gold for someone with a copyright claim.  Her comments about Lift's
license and the way I manage the IP was very encouraging... she viewed
Lift's IP cleanliness as top tier for any software she's ever reviewed.
 That means that developers from her company can use Lift without her
getting involved anymore.

So, the issue boils down to you posting something that's work that you could
assert a copyright claim in.

Submitting a change of a single letter, a type-o, is not something that you
could assert a copyright claim in.  I made the change that you suggested.

Submitting a one or two line bug fix is also something that's unlikely to be
copyrightable work (although I tend to be the judge of that and discourage
other Lift committers from making the call.)  If I determine the bug fix is
not copyrightable, I'll roll it into Lift.

Submitting a new feature with code is likely to be copyrightable.  What we
do in that situation is look at the interface and implement the interface
our own way.

So, I'm sorry you think the policy is harsh and discourages community
participation.  I developed the policy to protect users of Lift and make
sure that they can build Lift-based applications without worry.  I wanted to
be sure that Lift users never have to worry about the issues that SCO
brought to every Linux users' doorstep a few years back.  And make no
mistake, we are at the beginning, not the end, of figuring out the real open
source legal landscape.

Thanks,

David

Git some: http://github.com/dpp