On Sep 21, 5:30 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Threads are used in Scala actors, but only while processing a message (actor
> jobs are allocated to threads in a thread pool).  In the case of asking your
> external ad server for information, Scala Actors are not going to help you
> because they have not been integrated with the JVM's NIO library (NIO ~=
> Unix I/O Select)  Erlang's actor scheduler is IO aware, Scala's is not.

Googling for "Scala actors NIO" turned up a recent paper by Matthias
Schmidt at Sun. There is a section on combing the Scala actor model
with NIO...

http://blogs.sun.com/schmidtm/entry/high_performance_tcp_ip_programming
http://blogs.sun.com/schmidtm/resource/nio-whitepaper/High-Performance-TCPIP-JVM.edit.Final.Formatted.pdf

I also found this from the upcoming O'Reilly book "Programming Scala,"
by Dean Wampler and Alex Payne...

Chapter 9. Robust, Scalable Concurrency with Actors
http://programming-scala.labs.oreilly.com/ch09.html

"The open-source Naggati library adds a Scala-friendly layer atop MINA
that, according to its author, “makes it easy to build protocol
filters [using a] sequential style”. Essentially, Naggati is a DSL for
parsing network protocols, with MINA’s powerful NIO abilities under
the hood."

- James