Good morning Antoin, Dave, et al.,

> Hi Dave,
>
> I think the issue you're describing about credential tampering by
> intermediary nodes is correct. If Alice controls Y along the path
> W->X->Y->Zed, she can waste the credentials value provided. Indeed, this
> issue generalizes for any classic payment path, where a routing node can
> waste the senders credentials allocated on the downstream hops.

Of note is that jamming attacks are mounted by routing nodes against other
routing nodes, and a routing node will not *deliberately* attack a payment that
goes through them --- doing so sacrifices the potential for fees.
It still remains the case that accidents can happen, and Y could fail
completely by accident and cause accidental failure.
Indeed, if any mechanism to protect against channel jamming succeeds, then the
remaining instances of apparent channel jamming will be accidental.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj