On 9/15/16 10:11 AM, "Chris Yate" <chrisy...@gmail.com> wrote:

>For the sake of argument, here's what Sibelius does in similar
>circumstances, and which I think is right, and actually within the spirit
>of Gould's coments.

I note that sib1.png is exactly the same chord as in the Gould scan.  And
it has two less dots than Gould shows.  So it's not consistent with Gould.

If the trim rule for Gould were "trim to the chord spaces if the dot
spaces are two or more staff spaces larger than the chord spaces", then
we'd get the Sibelius output.

The current logic doesn't reflect Gould's rules at all, as it only refers
to the number of staff positions taken by the chord, not the number of
staff spaces taken by the chord.  And Gould clearly considers staff spaces
to be the important metric in her rules.

So the challenge is to figure out a way to implement Gould's rules with
some adjustable parameter that allow us to get Sibelius's rules.

I'll have to think about it a bit.  My current change improved some
things, but made others worse.

But I'm sure it's doable.

Thanks,

Carl