On 10 Aug 2018, at 13:50, Torsten Hämmerle wrote:

Galen Menzel wrote
Is there a simple way to direct lilypond to use the larger
ties here?

Hi Galen,

Yes, there are several ways:

The most obvíous way is to use

  \override Tie.minimum-length = #...

But this also affects the spacing of notes.

If I get you correctly, you'd rather like to keep the spacing (without
lyrics, it's even tighter), but you don't want the ties to become too short
when slipping in between the noteheads.
This can be achieved by playing around with one of the details properties:

  \override Tie.details.min-length = #...

A sufficiently large value of details.min-length will prevent a tie from
being squeezed into a too narrow gap between noteheads.

Thanks, Torsten — this second approach is just what I need.

However, I’m a bit baffled as to how I could have found this setting. The [tie internals page](http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/tie) doesn’t list min-length as one of the members of tie’s `details` alist.

Where is this setting documented?

Thanks again!

Galen