On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Kieren MacMillan <
kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > I have no idea how your email system would figure out just what mail Tim
> > had been replying to.  The information is just not there in the headers.
>
> Apple Mail uses the Subject (as text), and I imagine there are other
> applications that do the same.
> This of course leads to any number of frustrations, including "re: re:
> test" not being threaded with "re: test", and mail from completely
> different conversations (with the same subject line) being threaded
> together.
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.

David,
Gmail is just that smart. It primarily uses the subject line, though I
think it pays attention to some other things, as I can't recall having the
problem Kieren describes. I think Gmail also looks for similarities in the
body of the message. It has some awareness of how the body of a message is
structured, as it commonly hides signature blocks (including the
lilypond-user mailing list block)

Regarding the actual subject matter, my previously-voiced frustration is
that the individual messages are *not* set up to reply to the list by
default. As a matter of consistency, I think both the individual messages
and the digest should reply to the list, or neither. My preference is for
both to do so. This is perhaps the only mailing list I've been on where
that is not the case. The rest of you may have different experiences, but
that is mine.

Cheers,
Carl