On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 04:37:29PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:

> 1. What have I done to deserve this?

Tried to solve the problem with one hand tied behind your back? (the
"no recompiling the kernel" rule).

> 2. How can I synchronize between the symbols that I have in
> usr/src/linux/include/linux/module/ and those that are actually loaded
> into the kernel? I don't want to recompile the kernel.

a. Get the *exact* redhat kernel source rpm for the kernel you are
running.

b. Copy into the source directory the .config that was used to build
that kernel. I think redhat puts the configs under linux/configs/, or
they might be under /boot somewhere.

c. Run 'make oldconfig; make dep'. This step prepares the intermediary
kernel configuration and build files that are needed for the build
process. Amongst other things, it handles module version.

d. Pray.

> 3. Most important: Is there any guide around, for free or for $$$, that
> spares the endless search on the web for solutions? There are plently of
> one-pagers who tell me to do a lot of make-make-make, but I still
> haven't found a single guide that tells me, at least, what files are
> involved. And to what extent every step I take screws the system up.

Linux Device Drivers talks about this, but not in sufficient
details. You can scourge the linux-kernel mailing list archives, where
this subject was discussed repeatedly. You can read the source, where
ultimately all questions are answered. Start with the top level
Makefile and Rules.make, and follow what happens when you run 'make
oldconfig; make dep'.
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org