Why isn't there any package "kernel-devel" that would include all the
required files necessary to compile files based on a certain binary kernel
from my distro?
Actually, that's exactly /usr/src/linux-xx.xx.xx . And what I seem to have (re)discovered, the config files reside in the /boot directory.

So it actually *is* simple, only somehow this is never mentioned. Kernel hackers probably want us to suffer before we can get a working configuration, rather than slightly modifying and already working setup. :-(
In the worst case it is the full kernel comiplation tree . But are all of
those files really necessary?

Who cares? As long as I don't have to understand each and every one. The problem is that some people send us all to read them all...

   Eli