Elaboration on the previous post

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Eli Billauer wrote:
>
> > I clearly remember asking during a Haifux lecture, how I get back to the
> > original configuration, and noone was really sure. I don't think that
> > there is someone here who can tell me exactly what files are tampered
> > with during all the makes (could syscalltrack be handy here? ;).
>
> Installation currently requires kernel recompilation ;-)

Sorry: I meant: a compiled kernel tree. Basically the same requirements as
for the modem module.

> > Don't take me wrong: I think that the possibility to compile the kernel
> > is one of the beauties of Linux, and writing in kernel space is
> > something I know I'll do sooner or later. The problem is that it's such
> > an unfriendly field, and for no real reason.
> >

> Fully agree

Why isn't there any package "kernel-devel" that would include all the
required files necessary to compile files based on a certain binary kernel
from my distro?

All those files have been created when the kernel image packae was
created. It is basically amatter of shoosing what should go in there and
what not.

In the worst case it is the full kernel comiplation tree . But are all of
those files really necessary?

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]