The saga continues...

I bought a used copy of MX 2004.
Tried to register it. Failed.
Got the previous owner to release the license
Tried again. Failed. Called Macromedia.
Previous owner registered it on a Windows machine, I can't register it on a Mac. "Well OK, One Time Only, after we get the Transfer of Ownership Form we'll let you swap platforms on this copy, but it'll cost you $25 dollars. It's in the EULA you know."

That's ABunchOfStuff.

I've read the whole thing.
The salient parts in the EULA are paragraph 3.d.:

(d) Other than with respect to a Trial Version or a Not For Resale Version of the Software, you may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a sale or transfer, provided you retain no copies, you transfer all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, the serial numbers, and, if applicable, all other software products provided together with the Software), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA. If the Software is an upgrade, any transfer must include all prior versions of the Software from which you are upgrading. If the copy of the Software is licensed as part of the whole Studio (as defined above), the Software shall be transferred only with and as part of the sale or transfer of the whole Studio, and not separately. You may retain no copies of the Software. You may not sell or transfer any Software purchased under a volume discount. You may not sell or transfer any Trial Version or Not For Resale Version of the Software.

and paragraph 3.k.:

(k) You may receive the Software in more than one platform but you shall only install or use one platform.

I understand Macromedia wishes to keep someone from swapping the software back and forth from platform to platform (paragraph k) and that they want to block a user from doing that by 'selling' the software back and forth to himself. Fine. Say so.

I submit that it's quite a stretch to read paragraphs d and k and get, "Oh and by the way, whatever platform the software is first installed on is the platform it's for from then on, even if you sell it. But we'll swap it just once for $25, after that it's nailed down, no really, we mean it this time."

There's no mention of this in the Transfer of Ownership Form either.

I'm just grumpy. I saved more than the $25 by buying used. It's not the money. I'm cranky about the delay this is causing. And running into un-published rules always pissed me off.

So, thanks for letting me vent and I hope this keeps someone else from having this problem.

And maybe someone at Macromedia can pass this to whoever wrote the EULA and the Transfer or Ownership Form.

--

Carl West
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]