Tuesday, July 26, 2005, 6:24:14 PM, Michael wrote:

MN> 1) How does one learn the basics of 3D programming in Director, it's like a
MN> whole new language?

There's two sides to it - learning the 3d commands in director, and learning to
think in 3d.

In terms of learning the commands, one of the best ways (as with learning all
types of programming) is to find examples and demos with source code to pick
through. Make notes, copy & paste useful parts of code into your own
'reference' document for use later. As you gradually re-use these bits, and
find more examples, you'll start to discover methods that you prefer, and
become more familliar with the terms and eventually remember them by heart.

To that end, here's a bare-bones controllable 3d box (with source code) to get
you started:

http://www.robotduck.com/content/articles/3dProgramming/basics/controllableBox/

In terms of learning to think in 3d, I would actually recommend that you start
off trying to accomplish something simple and perhaps '2d' in nature. The
drivable box being a good example. It's essentially 2d code, translated into a
3d environment. This gives you a chance to get to grips with actually
controlling the 3d display before moving on to loftier goals involving rotation
and motion in all 3 dimensions :)

Getting an idea of controlling the position and orientation of the camera is
probably the most important first step when embarking on the transition from 2d
to 3d.

Remember your camera can be pointing in any direction, so it is up to you to
decide which way (i.e. which axis) is 'up', unless you are importing models
from a 3d app - in which case the app probably already has its own idea of
which way is up. I believe the standard is to consider 'Z' as up, and X & Y to
be the axes which run parallel to the ground.

Also keep referring back to the director built in help. I found the part where
it lists the properties and methods available on each type of 3d object
invaluable as a reference when I was starting out in 3d.

Good luck!

- Ben

 duck(at)robotduck.com
   www.robotduck.com