Hi guys,

okay, I'd just like to quash this right here and right now, "tell" is
NOT obsolete

MM says in the Director manual that tell is apparently now obsolete and
you dont need to use it anymore, except when of course you have to use
it and perhaps MM should come forward and explain why I had to use tell
in order to get my project to work, tell obsolete? nah, I dont think so.

I got a director movie, which I use as a LDM within my main movie,
within the LDM movie I've got a mouseEnter, Within and Leave events, I
put some code in there, like below (I'll top post this code, so you can
read this, THEN read the code):

as you can see in my code, I've commented out all the tell commands,
WITHOUT them, none of this code works, what happens, is that
me.spriteNum is 2, which is NOT a sprite on the (main movies, but is
within the LDM)stage, so it doesnt do ANYTHING, on the other icon I
dropped this behaviour onto, it's spriteNum is 3, which happens to
coincide with a bitmap of 810x610, but when I highlight the icon within
the LDM, it highlights sprite(3) from the main movie!!!!! not the LDM.
so I get a highlight (which is what the script does) over the sprite(3)
within the main movie, as opposed to sprite(3) within the LDM,
marvellous!  The Hack is to get the LDM to tell the stage, to tell the
LDM what to do, what a hack.....

Version 10+ of director and they havent got something like this working
yet, people have only been requesting (and subsequently ignored for the
most part) for the last 5+ years......

So remember people, whatever MM says, TELL IS NOT OBSOLETE!!!

<lingo>

global debug

Property arrow, icon

on mouseEnter me
 debug.putString("LDM(Navigation), mouseEnter()")
--  tell the stage
--    tell channel("Navigation").sprite
     icon = sprite(me.spriteNum)
     arrow = channel("Highlight").sprite
--    end tell
--  end tell
end

on mouseWithin me
 debug.putString("LDM(Navigation), mouseWithin()")
--  tell the stage
--    tell channel("Navigation").sprite

     arrow.puppet = true
     arrow.visible = true
     arrow.width = icon.member.width + 10
     arrow.height = icon.member.height + 10
     arrow.locH = icon.locH - icon.member.width/2 - 5
     arrow.locV = icon.locV - icon.member.height/2 - 5
--    end tell
--  end tell
end

on mouseLeave me