At 12:31 PM -0400 10/17/00, Tab Julius wrote:
>Text members were introduced to allow antialiasing, among other things.
>
>I find them better for support international (multibyte) fonts.
>Fields lose those values real quick.
>
>HOWEVER, try changing the drawRect (to enlarge or reduce the screen)
>to render a text smaller.  Totally unreadable.  Using antialiasing
>makes it ever so marginally readable.  Otherwise it looks like bad
>hieroglyphics.
>
>Clearly some work needs to be done in this area.  Generally fields
>are more stable, with the exception of holding onto original fonts.

Yes, I understand that in Director 5, text members were introduced to
give us antialiased text.  Over the releases, Macromedia has given us
more and more functionality in them.  Now I think of them as being
able to do everything that fields can do, plus a whole lot more.

But I get frustrated when I want to do something simple and I know
how to do it with fields, but I can't figure out how to do it with a
text member.  Today, I just want to find out what word a user has
clicked on.  If it were a field member, I would use "the mouseWord" -
I just need to do the same functionality on a text member (since my
client wants nice looking antialiased text), but I can't figure out
the syntax today.

Irv
--
Lingo / Director / Shockwave development for all occasions.

        (Over two millions lines of Lingo code served!)