Blaming China is handy when trying to keep telco infrastructure away from 
Beijing

Australia is funding the potential purchase of a Pacific telco for only one 
reason, to ensure China Mobile doesn't get to it first.

By Chris Duckett for Null Pointer | July 25, 2021 -- 22:00 GMT (08:00 AEST) | 
Topic: Security


Remember that TikTok deal involving Oracle and Walmart under President Trump? 
The one that had Oracle purchasing the social network's US operations and 
flinging money into an education fund because Trump demanded a payment to the 
government?

It's probably best the deal fell through, but it now appears Australia also 
wants a crack at showing the world how to keep companies out of Chinese 
ownership.

If we rewind to 2018, Australia used around AU$200 million of its foreign aid 
budget to lock Huawei out of building a subsea cable to the Solomon Islands and 
Papua New Guinea. Instead of Huawei, local telco Vocus eventually picked up a 
AU$137 million contract to build the cable.

That might work for one-off projects, but for the Pacific arm of bankrupt telco 
Digicel -- that is reportedly swimming in around $7 billion of debt with yearly 
revenue of $2.3 billion -- which China Mobile is said to be circling, another 
model would be needed.

Enter Australia's largest telco Telstra, who confirmed last week it was 
approached by the Australian government regarding a Digicel deal, with the 
government set to stump up "significant funding" for any transaction.

Rather than the Trumpian demand for an upfront payment, Canberra has spun it 
around and decided it needs to put its money where its increasingly large mouth 
is.

While Telstra was mute on the details, the ABC put the deal at around AU$2 
billion, including Canberra lending Telstra AU$1.5 billion at reduced rates 
that would net Australia about AU$30 million annually in interest. Digicel 
Pacific has networks in Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Nauru, Samoa, Tonga, and 
Vanuatu.

There is a delicious irony in the government helping the telco it privatised 
last century to fund the purchase of another operator, but Canberra has few 
other options. Optus is owned by the Singaporean government, TPG has offshore 
Vodafone and Hutchison ownership entanglements, the likes of Vocus are too 
small, and creating something akin to an NBN South Pacific would be a disaster 
waiting to happen.

Meanwhile, as Telstra CEO Andy Penn pointed out recently, Telstra is mostly 
owned by the pension funds of Australia.

At the same time of Telstra lifting the veil on the Digicel deal, Australia 
joined a collection of nations to attribute the Exchange hack to China and its 
Ministry of State Security.

One of the big questions about the action from the United States, NATO, 
European Union, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Japan was 
why stop short of the sort of sanctions that have been applied to Russia 
recently? The quick answer is supply chain entanglement.

The diminishing returns of Huawei show Chinese autarky has not reached a level 
where it is immune from Western restrictions, but conversely, if China played 
hardball and clamped down on manufacturing, while that would hurt itself, that 
would also really hurt the West.

We are currently at the stage where fighters are circling each other, not 
throwing punches.

In terms of real-world impact, the attribution provided rhetorical strength to 
Australia's claim that infrastructure in neighbouring countries needs to be 
kept out of Chinese telco hands.

"This is a must do thing as we don't want our neighbouring countries, 
especially the low developing countries' critical infrastructure to be 
controlled by other countries that might have other intentions," Monash 
University senior lecturer in criminology at the School of Social Sciences told 
ZDNet.

"Critical infrastructure protection is now essential to national security. It 
is important that individual countries can understand that the service provider 
that they are using has no hidden agenda that is malicious."

While the Digicel Pacific footprint is now caught up in a geopolitical tug of 
war, spare a thought for those on the ground who have to live with decisions 
made in Bermuda, Beijing, and Canberra. In places where only 35% of people have 
internet access, some simply want better coverage. If Telstra does indeed win 
out, it should invest in its purchase and maintain its Australian reputation as 
having the best coverage.

The problem now for governments like Australia, especially if they want to 
continue to engage in this sort of activity, is they will have to avoid being 
milked by companies looking to sell infrastructure that could be deemed 
critical. Because suddenly, the first step in selling subsea cables, a 
semiconductor fab, or a telco could mean getting a company in China to give you 
an outrageous price and seeing whether a nation calls your bluff. If that 
happens, things could turn silly quite easily.

_______________________________________________
Link mailing list
[email protected]
https://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/link

Reply via email to