A postscript to my original message... later on I read:

QUOTE
Mark McKinnon, a former senior media adviser to Bush, drove the point home to
Suskind. The administration didn’t mind at all when the information elites of
the east and west coasts treated Bush - and by extension middle America - like
an idiot.

Middle America liked "the way he walks and the way he points, the way he exudes
confidence. They have faith in him," McKinnon said.

"And when you attack him for his malaprops, his jumbled syntax, it’s good for
us. Because you know what those folks don’t like? They don’t like you!"

By "you", Suskind interpolated, McKinnon meant "the entire reality-based
community".
UNQUOTE

Turnbull frequently speaks disparagingly about "the elites" and "the elite
press", by which he means the ABC and Fairtax.  Is he trying to create the same
situation here?  If so, he's sunk far lower than I would have thought possible.

David L.