If you're running under VM, and have VMTAPE in use, and have Neale's cpint package
installed and working, it seems to me you should be able to do something like

hcp sm vmtape mount <volser> 181

and have VMTAPE (with STAM if your tape drives are EMIF'ed among multiple LPARs) mount
the tape, then

insmod tape390 tape=181

and do something with /proc to make the 181 tape device active.  At this point, you
should be able to work with the tape itself using tar or mt.

to release the tape, you'd have to

delmod tape390
hcp detach 181.

I can only see two problems with this approach:
(1) I think tape390 and cpint use the same major node numbers.  You might have to
recompile one or the other to  use a different major node number.
(2) I've never been able to get cpint to properly issue a CP DETACH command that
works.  I may be doing something wrong.

Anyone care to comment on this approach?

"Great Minds discuss ideas.  Average minds discuss events.  Small minds discuss
people."  - Admiral Hyman Rickover
Gordon Wolfe, Ph.D.  (425)856-5940
VM Enterprise Servers, The Boeing Company