From: David Boyes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 5:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux390 + VM + Tape 3490

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 05:31:39PM -0700, Fargusson.Alan wrote:

> The mt command is designed to control a tape drive.  An allocate
> command would be used to gain access to a tape drive, and prevent
> others from using it.  Perhaps this seems like a fine point, but I
> prefer to separate the functionality.

I guess I'm puzzled about what the distinction is. Allocation (IMHO)
seems to be a tape control function -- it's clearly discrete from
reading and writing the data on the tape, and 'mt' contains every
other function that is not directly related to reading and writing the
tape.

All mt does is execute ioctl's to control tape function, just like the
TSO ALLOCATE command performs the standard allocation functions driven
by a chunk of command line code. How is this any different?