On Friday, 06/13/2003 at 08:57 MST, "Wolfe, Gordon W"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you're running under VM, and have VMTAPE in use, and have Neale's
cpint
> package installed and working, it seems to me you should be able to do
> something like
>
> hcp sm vmtape mount <volser> 181
>
> and have VMTAPE (with STAM if your tape drives are EMIF'ed among
multiple
> LPARs) mount the tape, then
>
> insmod tape390 tape=181
>
> and do something with /proc to make the 181 tape device active.  At this
point,
> you should be able to work with the tape itself using tar or mt.
>
> to release the tape, you'd have to
>
> delmod tape390
> hcp detach 181.
>
> I can only see two problems with this approach:
> (1) I think tape390 and cpint use the same major node numbers.  You
might have
> to recompile one or the other to  use a different major node number.
> (2) I've never been able to get cpint to properly issue a CP DETACH
command
> that works.  I may be doing something wrong.
>
> Anyone care to comment on this approach?

What if you have two drives attached?  Process 1 is writing to 181,
process 2 is writing to 182.  Process 2 ends and you are finished with
182.  Process 1 is still running (syslog is piped to it - it isn't gonna
end any time soon).  How do you release the drive?  Yes, you could DETACH
it.  But what if this is an LPAR?

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development