Acctually, where I worked a few years back, some of the companies other
divisions were doing new designs with Z80 and other 'old' devices in
them.  BUT, they did not buy those chips.  Zilog's programmable gate arrays
have downloads for them to make them operated like all the old popular
chips.  Plus the company could blow the chips down into the gate arrays and
have tons of left over room for the rest of their circuit design.  It's a
different form-factory but coding them is the same.

And if you want to daisy-chain them you can down load several into the same
Zilog device.  In fact the engineer and I at the place did some back of the
napkin calculations and figure we might be able to fit as many as 100 Z80's
in one big Zilog gate array.  But that did not account for any useful
interconnection logic.

-Dale

http://www.google.com/search?q=z8000%20site%3Azilog.com&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

--