On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 08:57:20AM -0500, James Melin wrote:
> After we get VM installed, we're going to need a console device.(IBM is
> doing the install) We've a 2074 on board so should be able to route console
> traffic with that but what sort of device should we use? Data center
> manager is wondering if it can be a PC

Sure can.

> and if so will a TN-3270 emulator
> work?

Sure will.

>  What device do we need for a VM/Linux Console, and what software on
> that device if its a PC?

Depends on what you have handy.

I've had excellent luck with older PCs running Linux  and x3270. We
have one PC330 (a P166 machine with 128M of RAM and a monitor capable
of 1270x1024) that is very happily supporting 4 console sessions to 2
different 2074s with x3270. I know of other sites that use PComm for
similar purposes. In this setup, the video card and monitor are more
important than the processor speed -- you don't need a lot of
horsepower for running terminal sessions, but you *do* need a sharp
display and good video drivers.

Often, using a Linux box for this can also let you remove a Sun or two
as X-based terminals and save some space in the ops area -- X clients
running on Suns work just as well when the display is pointed to a
Linux-based X server as they do on a real Sun workstation.